Wednesday, October 8, 2014

My Idea Of Heaven

Atheists don't believe in an afterlife and I certainly hold that line. While I'm with Christopher Hitchens that there are a variety of reasons we should be glad religion, particularly the ones involving Yahweh, isn't true, I think an afterlife of some description can be counted as a loss. It's certainly something I would like to be true.

My vision of it would be something like D&D heaven, basically, well one of them. Lunia is the name. A beach of white sands upon an infinite sea of silvery-purple holy water sitting under a night sky full of silver stars providing perfect moonlight. Tranquil contemplation in a beautiful place with no pollen or sunlight almost sounds like something I'd invent on my own. Something else is in play here though.

Lunia is actually the first of seven layers of a plane of existence called Celestia. The more one understands the concept of good, the higher one may rise until one gets to the top layer. At that point, having achieved total understanding, one may merge with the plane itself, becoming part of its essence. So that's my idea of heaven and the only thing I consider the real loss of atheism. There's so many questions and an eternity of contemplation to work on them would've been nice.

-Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment