Sunday, October 5, 2014

Temple Grandin At Drury


The first thing that you need to know about the contest of this review is that it comes from a man who has autism.  Like Temple Grandin, who came to speak at Drury March 3rd, I am on what is referred to as the autism spectrum, specifically in the form of Asperger’s Syndrome.  My official diagnosis only goes back about three years, but I’ve learned a lot about autism since then and how it has impacted, impacts, and will continue to impact my life.  Ms. Grandin’s view of her own experience with autism is far more positive than my own with my own, but, then again, I’m an unemployed man who writes articles on the Internet and she’s the most successful living person with autism.  What she managed to do was use her particular unique mind and perspective to make herself useful enough in the world to have a productive functioning adult life.  Specifically, she figured out methods of dealing with cattle and other herd animals that were simultaneously more humane and more efficient.  That whole story is detailed both in the books that she’s written in and the film Temple Grandin, about which I’ve also written.  As she tells it, that innovation was based on the fact that she could think like a cow, but I think using that ability for that purpose probably occurred to her because she had lived a life where no one understood her perspective and forced her into ways of doing things that didn’t make any sense to her. 
     Going to a convocation at Drury University should’ve been a very simple matter for me since I attended that institution for seven years of undergraduate and graduate work and once was assigned the convocation series as my beat for The Mirror student newspaper.  However, the event was held at The O’Reilly Event Center, which didn’t even exist back in 2006 when I got done.  There was even an iron gate you needed a code to access before you could get back into the area where it was built.  So it was I found my once encyclopedic knowledge of the Drury campus limited by the passage of time in much the same way my life is limited by my neurology.  With this rather appropriate thought in mind, I attempted to find a campus official who had offered to put me in the front row and the Faces Of Autism people who I had been told wanted to photograph me.  Both found me in time for the lecture to begin. 
Ms. Grandin was rather more calm and accomplished in person than I’d imagined her based on her depiction in the film, but then again she was being portrayed at my age in that film and is now my mother’s age.  Clearly this public speaking thing is something she’s been doing for a long time and is quite proficient at.  No matter what though, she’s still autistic, and there was a moment with the interpreter for the deaf where Ms. Grandin bluntly asked her to move out of both her normal and peripheral vision because the movement was distracting.  She was careful to explain why she was demanding this and what exactly about that rapid movement in her field of vision was so distracting, but she was also very insistent.  It really set the tone for her whole deeply honest perspective on autism, because it was about both clearly communicating and steadfastly insisting upon what you need to function as an autistic.  Later, she spoke of things like children with sensitivity to sound, and how it’s important to understand that it really does hurt some children’s ears when loud noises happen.  This actually plagues me to this day, making things like rock concerts, nightclubs, loud bars, and athletic events (especially basketball game buzzers, which I would literally hide under my seat from with my coat over my head as a child) completely beyond my capacity to enjoy.  There was also a lot of talk about the advantages of an autistic mind, such as the ability to think logically without the interference of emotion.  In fact, Ms. Grandin cited this ability as why she would not become neurologically typical if she could, viewing the way neurotypicals think and behave as mushy, inefficient, and lacking attention to detail.  Obsessive interests, a defining trait of autism, was also discussed at length and she made the imminently reasonable point that, given that obsessions are inevitable with autistic minds, it behooves parents of autistic children, as well as such children’s teachers, to turn that obsessive interest to useful and productive things. As a kid, my own obsessive interests were both healthy, as was the case with reading and popular culture (Yes, I count that as healthy and nuts to you if you don’t like it.), and unhealthy, as was the case with girls I liked who did not like me or with specific favorite junk foods, so I can certainly tell you from personal experience that harnessing that obsessive nature is every bit as crucial as Ms. Grandin indicates to autistic children becoming successful autistic adults.  When it comes to becoming productive adults, she also seems to favor vocational training that allows autistics to develop skills that will allow them to be employed despite whatever social difficulties might’ve been thrust upon them by their neurology.  Without seeing the film based upon her life, the most surprising thing about Temple Grandin I would’ve learned during the convocation would’ve been her attitude towards animals.  Unlike nearly all animal rights activists I’ve ever known, she has a good grasp of the realities of nature and difficult it would be for humankind to equal the cruelty of a pack of wolves.  Certainly, if I were a cow I’d favor Tyson’s slaughterhouses to anything in the wild if I had to choose the manner of my end.  Neither does she have any truck with vegetarianism, saying that she needs a lot of protein in her breakfast to start her day anywhere near properly.  However, all of this just makes the overall concept behind her revolutionizing of half the cattle industry, which is that nature is cruel but we humans don’t have to be, all the more powerful.  Something about the fact that she’s proven that more humane methods of handling cattle nearly always end up producing product that is better in quality, produced more efficiently, and results in a safer working environment for the humans involved the process themselves lends credence to her more traditional animal rights pronouncement that animals are owed our respect. 
-Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment