Monday, January 5, 2015

Low-T

I am the proud owner of a diagnosis of low-testosterone, commonly abbreviated as low-T, which is a standard to which I will adhere in this article for the sake of brevity. While I try to be reasonably well-informed regarding subjects about which I write, I must admit that I do not know much about low-T. Oh, obviously my endocrinologist has informed me of some of the symptoms, such as low energy, sexual dysfunction, difficulty losing weight, difficulty putting on muscle even with serious weight training, and other symptoms I also have. Between diabetes, autism, depression, and significant enough outdoor allergies to make me useless in the right weather conditions, I did not need something else on my place medical condition-wise, but I suppose none of us ever do.

According to my endocrinologist, my particular case of low-T arises due to obesity, which, perhaps ironically, it helps to perpetuate by impeding energy and ability to exercise. Basically, as best I can understand, fat somehow manages to turn testosterone into estrogen, which is undoubtedly the worst magic trick ever. There are two treatments I can go with to help raise my testosterone levels. I may either take an experimental pill that works by somehow short-circuiting fat's ability to turn testosterone into estrogen or I can take testosterone that works by virtue of being testosterone in the first place. Since the former option is more likely to be covered by my insurance, and is cheaper in any event, that's the one I'm going to go with, at least at first.

The next couple of months are going to be important for determining the progress of treating my low-T. After four weeks, I go in to have blood drawn for another round of tests, which will be able to show whether or not the pill is having any effect. Regardless of those results, another appointment will take place two weeks later. At that appointment, my endocrinologist will assess the test results to determine whether or not to continue the treatment. If it's working, then a decision will be made as to whether to continue with the same dosage, increase the dosage, or reduce the dosage. However, if it is not having a significant effect, I will need to go with actual testosterone, which isn't something I as of yet have much of an understanding. Another article will be forthcoming when I have a better idea as to my prognosis.

-Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment